Thursday, April 12, 2007

How Happy Are You?

I missed the show last night. And I regret it. Everyone was talking about it at work. Thank God for web sites. Read the blurb below and take the test... How happy are you?



Dr. Holden says the key to being happy is overcoming "destination addiction," which he defines as "living in the not-now."

"It's always about tomorrow, so you're chasing 'more,' 'next' and 'there,'" he says. "You promise yourself that when you get there, you'll be happy. And I promise you, you won't, because you'll always set another destination to go for."

Instead, Dr. Holden says if you are unhappy with your life or looking to improve your score on the satisfaction test, there are two things you can do. "We have to learn to let go of our past, we have to give up all hopes for a perfect past. Let the past go, it's gone." After that, he says, "Take a vow of kindness. Be kinder to yourself and to others.

"It's never too late to be happy," he says.

3 comments:

Kat said...

I scored a 28. Guess I'm not quite there yet. The interesting thing is, before I even saw this show I'd been trying to be more aware of now. It's a notion I was taught in theatre school. A successful actor must be present at all times. So wouldn't the same be true of any person in any circumstance? I think so.

Jennifer said...

Great point Kath.
I scored a 29. I think it would have been higher if I had already bought my house and had moved in. But that brings another point... am I happy just being where I am? Am I taking advantage of every day I'm given? Am I appreciating each morning when I actually wake up?

Kat said...

According to the theory, the move should not make you happier because that is destination.